Experience the delightful flavors of Puran Poli with this easy-to-follow recipe. Made with a luscious filling of jaggery and chana dal, infused with aromatic spices, and encased in a soft whole wheat dough, this traditional Indian sweet bread is a true delight. Get ready to savor the warmth and sweetness of this cherished Puran Poli recipe.
Puran Poli Recipe INGREDIENTS:
1 cup powdered jaggery
1 cup chana dal
2 tsp ghee
1 tsp ground fennel seeds
¾ to 1 tsp ground ginger
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
For Outer Covering:
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
½ tsp salt or as required
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Water as required to knead the dough
Puvi Cold Pressed Mustard Oil
PREPARATION of Puran Poli:
- Rinse the chana dal well and pressure cook it with water for 6 to 7 whistles until well cooked.
- Strain the cooked dal once the pressure settles down.
- Heat Puvi Cold Pressed Mustard Oil in a pan and add ground ginger powder, ground nutmeg powder, ground cardamom powder, and ground fennel powder. Fry for a few seconds on low heat.
- Add the cooked chana dal and jaggery. Stir and cook on low flame until the mixture becomes dry.
- Stir the mixture occasionally until it becomes dry and thick.
- Turn off the flame and let the puran mixture cool. Mash the mixture well with a potato masher or a mixer. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, take whole wheat flour and salt. Mix well.
- Add a little water and ghee to the flour mixture. Knead the dough, adding water as required, until it becomes smooth and soft. Cover and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Take a medium-sized ball from the dough and roll it into a 2-3 inch circumference on a dusted rolling board.
- Place a portion of the puran mixture in the center of the rolled dough.
- Bring the edges together towards the center, join them, and pinch to seal.
- Roll out the dough into a circle/poli on a rolling board.
- Heat a tawa or griddle and spread some Puvi Cold Pressed Mustard Oil. Place the rolled poli/dough circle on the tawa and cook from both sides until brown spots appear.
- Once the second side is browned, turn over and apply ghee.
- Serve the puran poli warm or at room temperature with milk, ghee, or curd.
Enjoy the delicious Puran Poli made with Puvi Cold Pressed Mustard Oil!
Indulge in the heavenly taste of Puran Poli, a beloved Indian delicacy. With its irresistible combination of jaggery, chana dal, and aromatic spices, encased in a soft and flavorful whole wheat dough, this sweet bread is a true culinary masterpiece. Treat yourself to the comforting and delicious experience of this cherished Puran Poli recipe.