Discover the delightful flavors of Poha, a popular Indian breakfast dish made with flattened rice. This quick and easy recipe combines soft poha with a medley of spices, peanuts, and fresh garnishes. Get ready to indulge in a satisfying and flavorful breakfast that pairs perfectly with a hot cup of tea.
- 1.5 cups of poha (thick variety), red or white (flattened rice)
- ½ cup finely chopped onions or 1 medium-sized onion
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chillies or serrano peppers
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons Puvi Cold Pressed Groundnut oil
- Salt, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated coconut, or to taste
- Rinse the poha in water until they soften.
- Add sugar, salt, and turmeric powder to the poha, and gently mix.
- Dry roast the peanuts in a heavy pan until they become crunchy.
- Heat Puvi Cold Pressed Groundnut Oil in a pan.
- Crackle the mustard seeds first.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add curry leaves and green chillies. Sauté for half a minute.
- Stir in the roasted peanuts.
- Add the poha and mix well.
- Cover and steam the poha for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Switch off the flame and let the kanda poha remain covered for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle lemon juice, coriander leaves, and grated coconut over the poha.
- Give it a gentle stir.
- Serve the hot and flavorful kanda poha with a steaming cup of tea.
Start your day on a delicious note with Poha, a popular Indian breakfast dish. This simple and satisfying recipe combines soft poha with a blend of spices, onions, and peanuts. The fresh garnishes of coriander leaves, grated coconut, and a hint of lemon juice add a burst of flavor to this delightful dish. Enjoy the warm and comforting flavors of Poha, perfect for a wholesome breakfast or brunch.